Thursday, July 17, 2008

Penalty or Not

In the past, we've usually moved ourselves. This time, the move is being paid for. So movers are boxing up our belongings. They showed up a day later than we expected (my husband had misunderstood when they were to come), yet it all worked to our good. I'm so grateful.

But now, as I'm watching the boxers continue to pack our goods for the second day, I'm struggling with worry. Let me explain a bit of background first.

Being a Mormon, I believe the Lord uses prophets as His mouthpiece (see Amos 3:7) to bring us to Christ. And His prophets through the ages have taught reliance on the Lord and the importance of obedience.

Well, one thing we've been advised to have through these prophets is a year's supply of goods--sufficient to sustain a family for at least a year's time (here are some sample discourses on the subject). And it makes sense; simply look at the difficult economic times facing so many families today.

My family has hearkened to this counsel. Which brings me to my worry. A move's cost with a moving company is directly equal to the weight put on the truck. Do you know just how heavy a year's supply of wheat is? Rice? Flour? Beans? (not very savory food, but at least its food!)

And yet, get this quote!
Ezra Taft Benson (1899–1994), Prophet and thirteenth President of the Church, said: “The revelation to store food may be as essential to our temporal salvation today as boarding the ark was to the people in the days of Noah” (“Prepare Ye,” Ensign, Jan. 1974, 69).

The food storage worries me, though. It is so very heavy. It may seriously penalize us with the cost of the move. And yet, I can't leave it behind. The prophets have spoken. We are to have a food supply to sustain our families in case things get very bad.

Financial penalty or not, we will keep our food supply. Especially since the price of wheat has more than doubled in the past 12 months and rice and corn appear to be heading in that direction. Obedience and prudence instruct me that it is the wisest long-term thing to do.