Monday, July 7, 2008

President Gordon B. Hinckley stated:
“I am grateful for emphasis on reading the scriptures. I hope that for you this will become something far more enjoyable than a duty; that, rather, it will become a love affair with the word of God. I promise you that as you read, your minds will be enlightened and your spirits will be lifted. At first it may seem tedious, but that will change into a wondrous experience with thoughts and words of things divine” (“The Light within You,” Ensign, May 1995, 99).

I know that if I've let a period of time go where I've not daily read my scriptures, when I DO sit down to read them, it does feel more a duty than anything else. But if I push through and consistently, deliberately set aside a certain amount of time for daily study, I soon experience an energy or renewal from my scriptures. They truly do begin to feel like "living water" that refreshes my soul.

When my firstborn was just weeks old, his growth took off. As a result, it felt like he was needing to nurse all the time. I began to feel skitchy cabin-fever with all that nursing, just sitting and waiting for him to finish.

One day the thought struck me: read your Book of Mormon. Within one month, I'd read the entire Book of Mormon. And at the end of that month, I was so on fire from the benefit of scripture study, I wanted to shout it out loud to the whole world!

I know from personal experience what President Hinckley states above. Scripture study really can become a love affair with the word of God. Join me? Let me know if you're interested in logging daily study amounts together!