Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A Compassionate God

In preparing to study The Book of Mormon yet once again from the beginning, I opened my scriptures and found this cross reference that I'd inked in at some prior time:
2 Chronicles 36:15-16: "And the Lord God of their fathers sent to them by his messengers rising up betimes, and sending; because he had compassion on his people, and on his dwelling place;

"But they mocked the messengers of God, and despised his words and misused his prophets, until the wrath of the Lord arose against his people, till there was no remedy."

What struck me in this scripture was the reference to the compassion and patience of God. These were people who were worshipping idols, in spite of being God's covenant and chosen ones. Some of them were even participating in INFANT SACRIFICE! Israelites, murdering children, all in the name of worshipping some pagan god! How far they had fallen.

Things don't happen overnight, that's for sure--at least not on this level.

For me, what I'm reminded of is not to judge and instead to focus on myself. Where am I falling short? The first thing that comes to mind is eating veggies.

Don't laugh. It may seem small, yet it is so big. Science is proving more and more that people who eat whole foods are healthier...exactly what Joseph Smith the prophet taught in D&C 89 (more than 150 years before current science caught up). I'm still working on learning to love veggies, but I am trying. I actually ate my peas today! :0)

Another category I struggle with is going to bed early. Again, something revealed through the prophet Joseph Smith more than 150 years ago (see D&C 88:124) that science is just now showing. For example, did you know that studies released this past year showed that women who slept less than 7 hours a night consistently gained 16% of their body weight back again? No wonder I keep putting on pounds! And 6th graders who had one less hour of sleep a night (compared to healthy levels), in just 3 days time the 6th graders loss mental processing capacity...down to the 4th grade level!

This is why I love what the prophet Joseph Smith did for so many. He was called, just like Moses, Isaiah, and so many other prophets, to share God's word, to establish God's church, and to bring to light The Book of Mormon. And just like stated above (from the Bible in 2 Chronicles 36:15-16), there are many who mock "the messengers of God." Well, I will not be one who mocks Joseph Smith and what he has done. I'm grateful for his efforts. He died for those efforts.

It is one of the many reasons I've decided to embark on yet once again another journey through The Book of Mormon.

(For more information on prophets being called, here are a few sample selections from the scriptures: Ezekiel 1:1-3, 26-28; 2; Revelation 10:1-2, 8-11; Joseph Smith--History 1:15-35).)

To finish off, these sad words below seem to tell the tale of much of what God's prophets encounter amongst His children:
"Howbeit I sent unto you all my servants the prophets, rising early and sending them, saying, Oh, do not this abominable thing that I hate.

"But they hearkened not, nor inclined their ear to turn from their wickedness, to burn no incense unto other gods" (Jeremiah 44:4-6).