Monday, September 15, 2008

Finally Landed...

Our move is nearly complete. We're unboxing and dealing with trying to find pieces and parts that belong to other pieces and parts. Amidst it all, I'm so grateful to the Lord for His kindness in moving us to this part of the vineyard.

Today I was reading in 1 Nephi 17 from the Book of Mormon, and I read these verses:

Now I, Nephi, did not work the timbers after the manner which was learned by men, neither did I build the ship after the manner of men; but I did build it after the manner which the Lord had shown unto me; wherefore, it was not after the manner of men.

And I, Nephi, did go into the mount oft, and I did pray oft unto the Lord; wherefore the Lord showed unto me great things."


These words struck me with impact as I thought of the tempest of an announcement in today's news of Lehman's collapse and other finance institutions threatening to do the same. I daresay that the financial horizons will look quite different over the next few years. So what is an ordinary person to do during the tempest of it all?

Nephi's words hold great import and teaches a mighty principle. He was building a boat; something he'd never done. It was at the request of the Lord. That boat was to take Nephi and his kin to safety across the waters of the great deep to the promised land. But what a request it was! How did Nephi handle the intimidation of it all? Through praying "oft", as he put it.

Today the economic conditions are mirroring the frightening winds and rains of Hurricane Ike which just created devastation in the south-central portion of the United States. Whether the winds that blow are physical ones, economic ones, or otherwise, the answer of what to do during the storm will come--in a still small voice it will come--as we follow Nephi's pattern: "pray oft."

When Elijah from the Old Testament heard the Lord's voice, it was a still small one--not found in the crashing noises of the storms he'd encountered. It can be the same for us. In spite of all the economic, physical, or social storms beating themselves about us, we too like Nephi (and Elijah) can pray oft and be guided by the still small voice of the Lord. We are His children after all; He will not leave us too long in those cold winds of change.