Friday, September 19, 2008

Idols Unto Ourselves

I was studying in the Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith manual this morning. On page 252 in chapter 21 I read a reference to Habakkuk 2 in the Old Testament. The reference actually was to verse 4, referring to "the just shall live by his faith." But as I continued onward in that particular chapter, I was struck with how easily men and women can become idols unto themselves. How our choices--ones we think are so wise or great--are really short-sighted...and if we'd counseled with the Lord in the first place, we would have chosen differently.

For example, verse 9:
Woe to him that coveteth an evil covetousness to his house, that he may set his nest on high, that he may be delivered from the power of evil.

Instead of looking to God for deliverance, this verse refers to humans who believe they know best and set about their pre-determined tasks/beliefs in order to deliver themselves. Yet it is Christ who has the power to deliver us completely from evil!

Instead of creating self as deliverer or things as deliverers, the truth of the matter is in the final verse of Habakkuk (verse 20):
But the Lord is in his holy temple; let all the earth keep silence before him.

Sometimes I feel so sad how easily I begin making my own plans, setting my own distances for trodding the day, instead of always referring to and conferring with the Lord. Perhaps, as Habakkuk suggests, I should keep more silent in my way and look to the Lord first to see what His counsel might be; I think my days would go much better!

Oh, how I love the scriptures. They point out to me my errant ways. And rather than be discouraged when or how I might err, instead to remember Habakkuk 2:1:
I will stand upon my watch, and set me upon the tower, and will watch to see what he will say unto me, and what I shall answer when I am reproved.

I'm learning that attitude when corrected shows much. :0)