Monday, December 22, 2008

Raising a Generation

Yesterday during our Christmas service, I sang with the congregation the beautiful Sacrament hymn (it was the one my young daughter thought so very long). At the bottom of the page, a scriptural reference caught my eye: JST Genesis 14:30-34.

My eyes grew wide as I turned to the reference and read it. How does a mother or a church family (or a nation) raise a generation with faith equal to this? Moses parted the red sea; Daniel had the faith to face lions. Many, many ancient prophets spoken of in the Bible had miracles that occurred. Faith precedes every miracle. How does a mother, or any of us really, raise a generation with that kind of faith?

I was praying this morning about this and the spirit whispered to me, "It begins with those who lead them." And I realized the veracity of this. If I as an adult, or we as a nation's group of parents, do not know the Lord ourselves, how can we teach of His goodness, grace, or power to our young?

Raising a generation full of faith and knowledge of God's abilities begins with those who do the raising.